Short Bus...

In my 17 years of transit photography, I've captured some interesting sights but nothing prepared me for this one.

The date is January 17th, 1999. On this day, I was gathering photos of various equipment when coach 8755 pulled up to a stop in Downtown Baltimore. As you can see, 8755 is a "short" bus or in bus speak, a 30 foot coach.


Now, 8755 is signed for 23 Beltway, which to this day, I don't know if it was it's true destination since that branch I believe operated to a high school. At 4 o'clock in the afternoon, it would be ng the opposite way.

Now Route 23 is one of the heaviest lines in the MTA system then and now so the idea of a one-door 30 foot bus operating on that line in the middle of rush hour would for most people, be thought of as insane.

But as I've learned...when you need a bus on the line, it doesn't matter the size, just as long as it makes service.

More to come...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The history of Metro Transit Archives Part I (1997-2002)

The History of Metro Transit Archives Part II (2003-2006)

Metro Transit Archives After Dark: Prime Time (So.Cal Style)