The history of Metro Transit Archives Part I (1997-2002)

  
Today on Metro Transit Archives, I will discuss the history of that moniker and how I, Thomas Reaves entered into the world of Transit Photography.
Recently, another fan and blogger, Carlton Walton, asked about my transit "resume", basically where I've been to over the years. Thinking more about it, I decided the best way is to explain my life since the age of 17 to now, at age 34. This post will chronicle the first five years (1997-2002) with photos and stories so sit back, relax, and enjoy this trip down memory lane.
December 23th, 1997 started it all. It was this bus: 2944, a 1974 GM Fishbowl. formerly known at the MTA Christmas bus, that inspired me to start photographing transit. Unfortunately, I lost the original prints years ago but I was able to get a better photo at the 2003 MTA Roadeo.
In 1998, thanks to a good friend who bought me my first camera, I was able to get out and take photos. For any new photographer, it's rough getting to know yourself and your camera. Some were even taken close to home.
8746, a cute 30 footer taken in my front yard, circa 1998


In March 1999, I saved up enough money for my first SLR, a Nikon. Needless to say, I learned a lot and my photography improved.


A month later, I went on my first trip to Philadelphia, which started my 15 year love affair with the city. It was so different from Baltimore...like having buses on wires!

In July of that same year, I went further north...to New York City. Man, that was a rush, buses and trains everywhere. Nobody cared what you were doing, just as long as you weren't in their way.
Then in 2000, a new job and more money found me experimenting with slide film and more out of state travel. New colors and better composition and I was on my way.
Starting in August 2000 through October 2000, I traveled to Philadelphia nearly every weekend. Baltimore was stale and boring but Philadelphia had buses, trolleys, and trains Baltimore did not.




Also in 2000, I regularly traveled to Washington DC, known to transit photographers as a rolling museum. Buses dating back to the 1960 were in regular service and I took every chance I had to capture them on film.

1966 GM Fishbowl at the Pentagon

1979 GM RTS at Sliver Spring Metro

1978 MAN artic in SE Washington DC


In 2001, I was mostly Baltimore bound with few trips to New York and Philadelphia. However, I used the time to capture some of the transit system's future classics:

1997 NABI artic, retired in 2009

1988 Flxible Metro, retired in 2004

7035, 9525, and 9859: All retired by 2011


1987 Flxible Metro: Retired by 2005



When the world changed that faithful day in September, so did my photography and how I went about it. In that next year leading into 2002, I rarely went out, even out of town. Eventually, my camera came out of hibernation and so did I:

Frankford Terminal in Northeast Philadelphia

 Brand new in 2002 for WMATA

 Ready for repainting in 2002



By December 2002, I was back in action and ready for new adventures. Find out about those in "The history of Metro Transit Archives" Part II...





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The History of Metro Transit Archives Part II (2003-2006)

Metro Transit Archives After Dark: Prime Time (So.Cal Style)